This is really an elegant tasting recipe. White asparagus has such a delicate flavor that you wouldn’t want to over-power. The toasted almonds were a delicious condiment that we look forward to enjoying again.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 lb. fresh white asparagus.
- pinch salt
- pinch sugar
- 1/4 cup of slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup of fine olive oil
- splash lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch white pepper
- Peel the fresh asparagus with a vegetable peeler.
- Brig a large pot or pan of water to boil.
- Add the pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar.
- Carefully lay the asparagus in the pan and cook until al dente.
- Drain the asparagus.
- Pour the olive oil in a skillet.
- Cook the almonds over a low heat, stirring frequently, until they turn golden brown (takes about five min).
- Remove from heat.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and almond extract.
- Pour over hot asparagus.
adapted from http://www.asparagusrecipes.net/asparagus-almandine.html