The combination of sweet, sour and hot is so enticing. We enjoyed this salsa, or chutney with our veggie burgers and it really tasted great. We also thought it would be tasty as a spread on biscuits and of course with tempeh or seitan as well.
Yield: 1 cup
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried currents or raisins
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. raspberry or red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. cardamom, ground
- 1 Tbs. oil
- Heat the oil in a small sauce pan.
- Add the chopped onions and saute until glassy.
- Add the dried currents or raisins, the sugar and vinegar and continue tho heat.
- Add the rhubarb and the rest of the ingredients and cook on a low heat until the rhubarb is soften and the flavors have blended.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Inspired by http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2008/04/savory-rhubarb-recipes.html