Raw Vegan Surf ‘n’ Turf
We really enjoyed this raw dinner, using seaweed from the surf and zucchini from the turf. It tasted delicious, had great texture and was very filling.
Serving Size: 4
for the surf ‘n’ turf:
- 2 zucchini, peeled, grated and finely chopped
- 1 small-med. onion, chopped finely
- 3 stalks celery, grated and chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 3 Tbs. nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 Tbs. almond flour or small handful of almonds without the skins
- 2 Tbs. kelp powder (or self made nori powder)
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
for the dill tartar sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbs. mirin vinegar
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 Tbs. horseradish
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 tsp. lemon grass
- 3 Tbs. fresh dill, finely chopped
To make the Surf ‘n’ Turf:
- If you want the Surf ‘n’ Turf to be white in color, then peel the skin from the zucchini, otherwise the Surf ‘n’ Turf will be greenish in color.
- Grate the zucchini and place in a sieve to drain the moisture.
- I used a spoon to further press the excess water from the zucchini.
- Using a food processor, finely chop the onion, garlic and celery and almonds then add the zucchini and chop once more.
- Remove from the food processor, add the mined bell pepper, nutritional yeast and kelp powder and mix well.
- Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Using round pastry forms, put the Surf ‘n’ Turf mixture in and gently push down to form a nice “cake” .
- Remove the form carefully and continue to use up the mixture.
- Serve with a small dollop of the dill tartar sauce and garnished with a bit of dill.
To make the creamy dill tartar sauce:
- Place the cashew butter in a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and mirin and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
As kelp powder was not available, we improvised with nori sheets that were ground in a coffee grinder.
Inspired by from http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2252