Jalapeño corn chowder
This is a very tasty corn chowder, the jalapenos give it zip, and the roasted red peppers give a sweetness.
Serving Size: 4
- 3 cups corn
- 1&1/2 cups veggie bouillon
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 jar red sweet peppers, drained and chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup crumbled soy cheese(optional)
- cilantro cream as garnish (optional)
Cilantro cream garnish
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- splash lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- Cut off kernels from the ears of corn, if using.
- In a blender container combine half the corn and the broth.
- Blend until smooth.
- In a large saucepan combine broth mixture and remaining corn kernels.
- Stir in soy milk, jalapeno peppers, and red peppers or pimento.
- Heat through.
- Top each serving with cheese and garnish with cilantro soy cream
- Makes 4 side dish servings.
To make the cilantro cream:
Place all the ingredients in a blender and puree.
This makes a nice homestyle soup with lots of roughage. If you plan to serve it for guests, I would put the pureed corn through a sieve before adding the rest of the corn pieces and returning to the pan. That way it will be a creamier, smoother soup.
Inspired by BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS MAGAZINE — SEPTEMBER 1996