Strawberry and spinach salad
This salad is so colorful and tasty, but the secret really lies in the salad dressing.
Serving Size: 4
- 10 ounces fresh spinach – rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 quart strawberries – cleaned, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tablespoon onion, minced
- 2 tsp. mustard
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Mix together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, mustard, soy sauce and onion.
- Cover, and chill for one hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries.
- Pour dressing over salad, and toss.
- Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, garnish with the almonds.
Be particular about the raspberry vinegar, it makes a difference, as does the mustard. I used a grainy mustard which is not strong in flavor and rather nutty. Both the sesame seed and the poppy seeds add a lot too.
adapted from All Recipes