Apple chestnut muffins
These muffins were lovely and light. The apple is a nice compliment to the sweetness of the chestnuts and does not overpower the subtle flavor.
- 1 & 1/2 egg replacement
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 1 capful vanilla extract
- 1 cup chestnuts (peeled and chopped fine)
- 1 med. apple, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chestnuts (chopped fine)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 (F).
- Spray the muffin tins with oil.
- Cut the chestnuts into small pieces.
- Peel and cut the apple into small pieces.
- Make nutty topping by thoroughly mixing finely chopped chestnuts and brown sugar and set aside
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat egg replacement to a froth, stir in milk, oil, vanilla, chopped chestnuts, chopped apple.
- Beat in remaining ingredients.
- Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 tsp. of topping on each.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
(if you are using silicone baking forms, it may take a bit longer.
- Immediately remove from pans.
Vacuum packed chestnuts make it easy to enjoy the wonderful flavor year round, and shorten the preparation time considerably.
adapted from www.truccodirect.com/recipes