Vanilla apple in puff pastry
Slightly poached apples, simply wrapped in puff pastry offer a lovely way to enjoy such a wonderful flavorful bounty.
Serving Size: 4
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 apples
- 3 vanilla beans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cups water
- handful flour for the workspace
- Lay the frozen puff pastry sheets on a floured work space to thaw.
- Cut the vanilla beans lengthwise and place in a large sauce pan.
- Add the water and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Peel the apples and remove the core using an apple corer.
- Set the apples in the sugar water and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Simmer the apples for 10 minutes or just until he become slightly soft.
- Preheat the oven to 180 (C) / 356 (F).
- Roll each off the puff pastry sheets to a larger, thin size.
- Place one apple in the middle of each sheet of puff pastry and carefully bring the puff pastry sides up over the apple to wrap it completely in the puff pastry.
- Place the wrapped apples on a cookie sheet which has been lined with baking parchment.
- Bake the apples for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with a few green leaves and powdered sugar.
- Serve warm.