Deutsch | English

Coconut rice pudding with raspberry sauce

This is such an easy dessert, and looks so pretty. It is soy free and of course vegan.

Coconut rice pudding with raspberry sauce

Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

For the coconut rice pudding

• 2 cups coconut cream
  • 6 tbs. risotto rice
  • 3 tbs. sugar
  • 4-5 heaping tbs. coconut flakes

for the raspberry sauce

• 1 cup raspberries
  • 1-2 tbs. sugar
  • 1 tsp. corn starch
  • 1/4 cup water

Directions:

To make the coconut rice pudding:
Heat the coconut cream in a saucepan until it comes to a boil.
Add the risotto, coconut flakes and sugar and stir until it once again comes to a boil.
Reduce the heat to simmer and cook covered, until the rice is cooked (about 30 minutes).
Check on the rice from time to time and give it a stir so that it doesn’t scorch on the bottom.

Meanwhile, put most of the berries in a 2nd sauce pan, add the water and sugar and bring to a boil.
Save a few of the prettiest berries as garnish and if you wish to mix in with the rice.

Coconut rice pudding with raspberry sauce

When the rice is cooked, spoon it into a mold or pretty glass. (it would be here that if you want berries mixed in, you should do so. Place the rice pudding in the refrigerator to chill until serving.

When the berries have cooked down, push them through a sieve to remove the seeds.
Take a bit of the berry juice and mix with the corn starch.
Return the berry juice to the sauce pan and add the corn starch, cook a few minutes until thickened.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Coconut rice pudding with raspberry sauce

To serve, turn the molded coconut pudding out onto a plate, spoon some of the sauce over and garnish with a few pretty berries.

Print this postDownload MacGourmet file
Join Club Vegalicious to print this post and download MacGourmet files.
per monthper year
Your Source for Superfoods Since 1995
Click on the image of the post, if you are interested in buying a print or license. For more images like this: Food & Drink gallery

14 Responses to “Coconut rice pudding with raspberry sauce”

1. Karin Peters says:

Ugh! I had such high hopes for this dessert, but after 1 1/2 hours of cooking, the coconut cream had caramelized, which wouldn’t have been so bad had the rice not still been RAW. I checked other sites for similar recipes, and they all recommend soaking the rice in water overnight so that it would cook properly. That would have been good to know beforehand. Disappointing, since I was supposed to serve it for guests for dessert.

2. Chris says:

Hello Karin,
    I am sooo sorry to hear about your experience with this recipe. I am surprised.it is a recipe that we made and enjoyed. I will make it gain, and will adjust the recipe accordingly. I’ve never had a problem making rice pudding. Tapioca I know needs soaking overnight, but J have not needed to soak the rice. However I will rework the recipe, and I thank you for contacting us about it.

3. Chris says:

Hi again Karin,
    I have gone over the recipe again, and it works fine fr me. Are you sure you used the right kind of rice? There are may many kinds of rice out there- for the recipe you really need to use the risotto type rice. It’s a rice that makes a creamy sauce as it cooks – usually used in savory stove top one pot meals. If you used a regular rice, I could understand it not cooking- even after an hour and a half, and yes, the soaking for at least 6 hours is what would be needed for a regular rice. Again, I am sorry for any mis-understanding that lead to the recipe not working and your disappointment.

4. Tom Novak says:

Haha yeah she must have used the wrong sort of rice. I’ve made this recipe tons of times and it’s never failed me yet! Simple, lovely, delicious! Thanks Chris!

5. Chris says:

Hello Tom,
    Thank you for your support. I felt really badly when I saw Karin’s comment. I know how disappointing and frustrating it is to find a recipe, and get all excited and look forward to it, and then to have it not work out. But as I said, these recipes are all ones that we have made ourselves, eaten and enjoyed, we would not post them otherwise. So, I was surprised when she had such a failure with the recipe. It’s easy to mis-read a recipe or assume some ingredients are the same as what you already know.

I’m glad you have had success with the recipe and enjoy it also. It would also be very nice with a vegan caramel sauce, or salty caramel (coconut and caramel are very nice together). Thanks again for your comment.

6. Chris says:

Hi again Karin,
    Hmmm, how strange. I am sorry that it didn’t work out for you. I do hope you try it again, and yes, if I were you I would soak the rice. I will be making this recipe again for Valentines Day- with a bit of a different twist.
    I do hope the next try works out well for you.

7. Chris says:

Hi Tom, Oh goodness, crystallized ginger sounds good … a great idea. I will be making a bit of a different version for Valentine’s Day- perhaps I will add some crystallized ginger also…thank you for the suggestion.

8. aajay says:

Converted rice like Uncle Bens will never get soft. Arborio or any ordinary shortgrain rice will work.

9. Chris says:

Hi aajay,
    Thank you for your comment and advice. Yes, I am sure you are right. We don’t use converted rice, we just have the regular natural rices – various colors and sizes- brown, white, long grain, purple etc. But yes, I am sure you are right that the “converted sort” would not get soft.

10. Lynne says:

Hi, I want to make this, but wasn’t sure if it’s supposed to be coconut cream, or coconut milk? I don’t want to waste any ingredients, I might cry if this didn’t turn out-I’m looking forward to this quite a bit!

11. Chris says:

Hi Lynn,
    Please don’t cry…it’s not that serious. We have what is called “coconut milk”. It comes in a can- is very thick- but pourable when shaken. It’s not a solid lock as in coconut fat. It is not thin, as in fresh coconut milk. So I would call it coconut cream. It is very mild in flavor- not so coconut-y in flavor. I hope this helps you.

12. Lynne says:

Well…cry figuratively We do have this coconut milk, but also a product called coconut cream-it is very thick, and sweetened. Used mostly for pina coladas, I think. I thought you meant the other, but just wanted to be sure, as they would give VERY different results! Now that you’ve clarified, I just may make this today-I have all the ingredients on hand. Thanks so much for the quick reply!

13. Carole Douglas says:

it looks beautiful… and I am wondering if it would freeze well; to use as an ice cream, since coconut milk has ‘fat’ in it, it just might work :) We’ve used the coconut milk in a carton for it and it was pretty good

14. Chris says:

Hello Carole, Thank you for your comment.
    Oh goodness, you’re asking something I haven’t a clue about. I have never frozen rice pudding before. We usually enjoy rice pudding warm- with a sauce hat either cool or warm. Or, sometimes, rice pudding that has been in the refrigerator. But actually, it doesn’t last long around our house as we really enjoy it, it seems to vanish quickly. if you want to try freezing it, by all means try- and please let us know how it turned out.