Red cabbage, beet and currant salad
A festival of colors and flavor.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 can spiced beets drained, sliced as matchsticks
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup redcurrant berries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tbs. brown sugar
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- 1/2 cup soy cream
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- extra currants as garnish
- Combine cabbage and beets in a mixing or salad bowl.
- Sprinkle the slaw salad with walnuts.
- Bring the currants, water, lemon juice, vinegar and brown sugar to a simmer in a small pot.
- Simmer 5 minutes to dissolve sugar and transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Whisk in currant jelly and soy cream.
- Pour dressing over the slaw salad.
- Add the red currents
- Toss salad to coat evenly with dressing.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper and serve garnished with additional currants.
Adapted from Food down under