Paella comes originally from Valencia where it used to be eaten on Sundays. Now it’s a favorite around the world and of course it can be vegan as well.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup rice (white or brown)
- 350 grams frozen mixed vegetables
- 100 grams black olives
- 1 can (240 grams) artichoke hearts
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1&1/2 cups water
- 1 tbs. oil
- 1 tsp. saffron
- 1 tbs. basil pesto
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the oil in the bottom of a large pot or pan.
- Add the cup f rice and cook until the rice becomes glassy.
- Add 1 cup of water, the vegetable bouillon cube, the saffron and the basil pesto.
- Bring the rice to a boil.
- Add the rest of the water and the frozen mixed vegetables.
- Add the black olives.
- Cut the artichoke hearts into halves or thirds, depending on how large they are.
- If more liquid is needed, you can add the liquid from the artichokes.
- Add the artichokes to the cooking vegetables.
- Cook without a lid, for 10 minutes until the level of liquid comes “just” above the rice and vegetable mixture.
- When the liquid gets down to the level of the rice/vegetable mixture. Turn off the heat and put a lid on the pot.
- Allow the rice and vegetables to continue cooking and absorbing the rest of the liquid, for about 10 minutes longer.
- After 10 minutes remove the lid and check on the meal, fluff the rice and vegetables up.
We enjoy this meal with a large mixed salad, a fruit salad is also nice.