Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
Variations of this recipe have been known for more than a hundred years. It is named for some member of the large and important Russian Stroganov family.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. mushrooms
- 1 tbs. vegan margarine
- 150 grams tofu
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (optional but nice)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. ginger, ground
- 1/2 pint soy yogurt
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- Sauté the onion in a large skillet using 1 tablespoon of margarine or oil.
- Dry and cut the tofu in bite sized pieces and add to the onions.
- Sauté the tofu until both sides are golden brown.
- Add in spices and mushrooms.
- Add yogurt and optional nuts and cook over low heat.
- If you want more sauce you can add a bit of water to thin it out, or if you want it really thick you can add some cornstarch.
- Serve this over natural brown rice or barley, although it tastes nice over noodles or Spätzle as well.