These little balls which resemble meatballs, have a lovely nutty flavor from the nutmeg. The “milky” gravy or sauce is also somewhat sweet and nutty. They seem to disappear as soon as they are served!
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbs. soy sauce or tamari
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tbs. nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 150 milliliters soy cream
- oil for frying
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 250 grams fine noodles
- Soften, or reconstitute the TVP using warm or hot water.
- Add the soy sauce and the pinch of salt.
- Add the minced onion, pepper and mix in the bread crumbs.
- Season with 1 tablespoon of the nutmeg.
- The mixture should be a firm sticky mass. If not add a bit more bread crumbs, or warm water whichever is needed.
- Form medium sized balls from the mixture using a tablespoon.
- Fry the balls in a bit of oil until they are golden brown.
- I remove the balls and place them on a platter which is ovenproof and keep them warm in the oven.
- Using a paper towel I slightly wipe out the frying pan to remove any browned pieces or crumbs but leave the pan slightly oily.
- In the same frying pan, pour the soy cream and add the rest of the nutmeg and corn starch.
- Place over a low heat and stir until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Season with a pinch of sugar dash of salt and pepper and perhaps a bit more nutmeg if you want it a stronger flavor.
- They are usually served over very fine noodles (like angel hair noodles) or spetzles.