Beta carotene soup with green pea dumplings
A lovely vegetable broth with golden vegetables and bright green dumplings.
Somewhat sweet and full of vitamins.
Serving Size: 4
for the pea dumplings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fat (vegan margarine)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 scallion, white and green leaves
- 7-8 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup warmed soy milk
for the soup
- 1 scallion (white and green parts, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 large sweet potato or yam, chopped in bite sized pieces
- 150 grams butternut squash or pumpkin, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 – 1.5 liter water
- Using a big pot, bring the water, bouillon and cut up vegetables to a boil, and then turn the heat down to simmer.
- The vegetables should be sufficiently cooked in 15- 20 minutes.
- I do not puree this soup, but rather enjoy the clear consumer of vegetables with the nice pieces of vegetables.
- Meanwhile make the pea dumplings.
- Ten minutes before serving put the dumplings into the soup broth and cook.
- Serve a hearty bowl of soup to each person with 2 lovely floating dumplings.
Making the dumplings:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl
- In a 2nd bow, combine, the peas, chopped scallion, mint leaves and margarine.
- Using a staff mixer or blender, puree these ingredients and add the soy milk to make a paste.
- Shortly before serving the soup, combine the wet pea mixture with the dry ingredients .
- Mix only enough to moisten.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot soup and cook for 10 minutes.
I saw the recipe for pea dumplings at the Brownie Points blog. This recipe was easy to adjust to be vegan and it is delicious!
Join Club Vegalicious
to print this post and download MacGourmet and MacGourmet files.