This was a delicious soup we enjoyed over the weekend.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. pumpkin (red kuri squash or butternut squash are fine), cleaned and cut into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 piece fresh ginger (about 1″), peeled and grated
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil for cooking
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Thai curry paste
- 1 – 1½ cups coconut milk
- 2-3 cups vegetable bouillon
- splash of Tabasco or cayenne pepper
- ½ lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped Thai basil, mint leaves, pumpkin seeds and or a few red bell pepper pieces as garnish
- Clean and de-seed the pumpkin or squash.
- Cut the pumpkin into small cubes.
- De-seed and cut the red bell pepper.
- Chip the onion
- Mince the garlic.
- Peel the ginger and grate
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the red bell pepper pieces.
- Add the onion and pumpkin and begin to sauté.
- Add 2 cups of the vegetable bouillon, ginger and garlic and cook until the pumpkin is soft.
- Remove 1/2 of the vegetables and place in a bowl.
- Puree the rest of the soup mixture to a smooth creamy mixture.
- Return the soup to the pot.
- Add the coconut milk and the cooked vegetables.
- Add the vegan Thai curry paste and the lime juice.
- Add a dash of Tabasco or cayenne pepper.
- If the soup is too thick, add the 3rd cup of vegetable bouillon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- We garnisheed the soup with pumpkin seeds and chopped mint leaves. It would be nice also with a few pieces of red bell pepper and maybe some Thai basil or coriander.
It would also be nice with some corn added as well.