This lovely sweet treat really “hit the spot” today. Rice pudding has always been a favorite teat at our house. This time we were happy to find green Vietnamese Jade rice and made this tasty minty version with pineapple.
Yield: 4 small desserts
- 1 cup green rice (found in Asian grocery stores)
- 2 cups water
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2-3 drops peppermint extract or oil
- 3-4 slices pineapple, cut in pieces
- mint leaves as garnish
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the sat and sugar.
- Add the rice and 2-3 drops of peppermint flavoring.
- Stir the rice as it thickens. It will only take a couple of minutes. The green rice was flat and quickly became rice pudding.
- Remove from the heat.
- Cut the pineapple pieces and add to the rice pudding.
- Place in 3-4 individual serving bowls.
- Place the rice puddings in the refrigerator to chill.
- Garnish with mint leaves and enjoy.
There are different jade rices available. Depending on which one you bought, it may take longer to cook and need a bit more water. If you can not get the green rice, You could use regular risotto rice and add some natural green food coloring to the boiling water. If using the risotto rice, you may need to cook it longer, and perhaps add more water until it softens. Be sure to check the flavoring as it cooks. You could also add some pineapple juice to the rice as it cooks.