These sandwiches were delicious. We enjoyed them for lunch. But, they would also be nice as appetizers for a main meal, or finger food at a party.
Serving Size: 2
- 8 mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup guacamole, 2 avocados smashed with garlic, lemon juice , olive oil, salt and pepper and cayenne pepper
- 1 cup vegan cheddar
- 6 slices whole grain bread
for the vegan cheddar sauce:
- 2 large carrots, cleaned, pealed, thinly sliced or grated
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- splash lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Begin with the vegan cheddar sauce. Prepare the carrots.
- Grate or thinly slice the carrots into a sauce pan.
- Cover with a layer of water and boil until the carrots are soft.
- When the carrots are soft, puree. (I used an immersion blender)
- Add the “cheddar” seasonings and season to taste.
- Set the vegan cheddar aside to await use.
- Make the guacamole. Peel the avocado and cut into a small bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and cayenne.
- Puree to a smooth mixture.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and sauté the mushrooms until soft.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Toast the bread slices.
- Spread each slice of toast with some guacamole.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Dollop some of the vegan cheddar on top.
- Place the open-faced sandwiches in the oven to brown for 5-10 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven.
- We garnished the sandwiches with sliced spring onions.