This is a delicious salad. We enjoyed the salad as a main lunch meal for two. It would also make a great salad for four or even a side dish.
Serving Size: 2
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut in small cubes
- 1 small onion, cut in small cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small romanesco, cut into florets or spirals
- 8-10 ounces pumpkin (red kuri squash, Hokkaido, butternut etc.), peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3-4 tablespoon maple syrup or agave
- 3-4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon powdered vegetable bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons chives
- To prepare the lentils, cut the onion and carrot.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and sauté the onion and carrot pieces.
- Add the lentils to the sautéing carrot and onions.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and 2 cups of water and the bay leaf.
- Cook the lentils in the vegetable bouillon and water until the are soft, yet al dente, not mushy.
- When done, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Remove the bay leaf
- Cut and peel the pumpkin.
- Place in a steamer and steam al dente.
- While the pumpkin is steaming, prepare the romanesco.
- Cut the romanesco into small florets or spirals.
- Steam the romanesco until al dente, then remove from the heat.
- Place the cooked lentils in a large bowl.
- Add the steamed pumpkin and steamed romanesco.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing.
- Chop the chives and add to the lentil salad.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently mix.
- We enjoyed this salad as our main lunch meal with hearty full grain bread.