It’s funny how our tastes change as we grow older, and it’s worthwhile to give vegetables that we didn’t like as a kid a new chance. Preparing some vegetables with fruit also helps to create tasty dishes of vegetables that people don’t usually like. This rutabaga pear mash is delicious. We have really enjoyed it over the holidays and will be having it more often through the cold months. It does not need, oils, cream or butters.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 large or 2 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3-4 large ripe pears, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice (optional depending on the sweetness of the pears)
- pinch cinnamon
- Prepare the rutabaga and pears.
- Place in a steamer and steam until the rutabaga is soft.
- Puree or mash the rutabaga and pears together (in a food processor or with an immersion blender).
- Add the sweetener and puree well.
- Season the mash with ½ teaspoons salt, some white pepper and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Place in a serving bowl and garnish with a bit of parsley and a couple small pieces of red bell pepper