It’s been a very good year for elderberries. The bushes have been full, so we have been taking advantage of the opportunity to make many elderberry recipes. We enjoyed these parfaits as our treat for Sunday afternoon. They would also be good as a dessert after a big meal.
Serving Size: 4
for the elderberry cream:
- 2 cups elderberry syrup
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- 1½ – 2tablespoons agar agar
for the soy yogurt:
- 1 ½ cups plain soy yogurt (water drained though a cheesecloth)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest from 1 organic lemon
- non-dairy whipped topping as garnish
- Allow the soy yogurt to drain in a cheesecloth lined sieve for 15 minutes while you make the elderberry cream.
- to make the elderberry cream: Place the elderberry syrup and agar agar in a sauce pan and mix well to dissolve the agar agar.
- Add the sugar, vanilla flavoring, cinnamon and allspice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook stirring until the mixture begins to thicken (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and allow to slightly cool and become thicker.
- Add the coconut milk and blend well.
- Place the drained soy yogurt in a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and zest.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Taste the yogurt. It should be slightly tart but sweet enough to your taste.
- Pour the cooling elderberry mixture in the bottom of 4-6 parfait glasses (depending on size)
- Place a layer of soy yogurt on top of the elderberry and then carefully top with another layer of elderberry cream on top of the soy yogurt.
- Place in the fridge to cool and set.
- We served the parfaits with a dollop of non-dairy whipped topping.